Lavinia

Lavinia

Where'd You Go, Bernadette - Maria Semple

Note to self: Review books sooner or you'll forget what you liked/disliked about them in the first place.

I loved Bernadette, but that's no news, because probably Semple wanted me to. I could totally relate to the stay-away-from-people thing, I mean social groups like parents at school and stuff. I will be that kind of parent, that won't be bullshitted about my kid's school activities and let's do this and organize that. I love my life as it is, thank you very much.

There's so much humour in this book, I can't even begin to tell (let's not forget the woman writes for comic shows). Take Elgie's TED Talk for instance, brilliant. Oh, yeah, since I forgot to mention, the first two thirds of the novel are only emails, PDF documents, letters, articles, reports, that famous TED Talk and many others I already forgot.

I honestly wasn't into the last part very much. It was OK, it solved things; trip to Antarctica - check, finding Bernadette - check, but I really missed that informal, post-postmodern form of writing the book started with.

I read recommendations about reading it the whole summer. I didn't read it then (it is, indeed, a holiday book), I read it in September. Doesn't matter, a great read anyway.