Lavinia

Lavinia

Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller I wonder whether it's fair or not to enjoy other people's family dramas, but I really did enjoy this one. :confused: Or rather I should put it like this: (20th century) American family dramas are the best. They have like the weirdest, most complicated lives and the family members are not afraid to confront each other. And Willy Loman, (Miller plays a bit with his name: Low-man) is the total opposite of the classical hero, ending his American Dream in a total failure, due to his misunderstanding of it (if you are liked and got the looks you’re going to succeed in life). Unfortunately he passes this theory to his sons who learn reality the hard way.

Rather gloomy and nostalgic, I even got a strange sensation of deep sadness at some point. And the stream of consciousness in a theatre play was something quite new for me – Willy is driven from present to past, from real to fantasized conversations; this allows for a better understanding of his inability to make the difference between reality and imagination. Interesting.