Lavinia

Lavinia

Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut Howard W. Campbell, Jr. is "an American by birth, a Nazi by reputation, and a nationless person by inclination". His memoirs are haunting, bitter-sweet and sometimes filled with irony and dark humour. Serving as an American spy by being a Nazi propagandist and German language playwright in the WWII, he's left with this dilemmatic question: what weighs heavier, the good he did to Americans or the bad he did to the Jews?

It is said to be a book with morals, of which the most prominent is probably: "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." I've been chewing this statement for the last few days and haven't come up with a strong agreement/disagreement yet. I don't like to like statements or quotations just because they sound good (and this one really does), they need to appeal to me in some way, I need to find my own piece of truth in them.

P.S.1 There's also a beautiful love story in the background, worth mentioning - Das Reich der Zwei - the nation of two.

P.S.2 The film (starring Nick Nolte and Vonnegut himself in a cameo appearance) is also very good and touching, quite close to the book's plot.