Lavinia

Lavinia

The Paris Wife - Paula McLain While at uni I tried to avoid Hemingway as much as possible, though I distinctly remember at least two exams that had his work as subject. I strongly relied on The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms and some short stories I had read in high school. Later, I tried (and finished!) the never ending For Whom the Bell Tolls because my husband mentioned he liked it very much. The guy always seemed too macho, too big, too magnetic, larger than life, in love with masculine things I have no connection with. He still does. But I came to like him while reading [b:A Moveable Feast|4631|A Moveable Feast|Ernest Hemingway|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B112Q45HL._SL75_.jpg|2459084] which is a must for any 20s aficionado. Oh, and have you noticed how cute the actor that played him in Woody's Midnight in Paris is?

I started this faux memoir determined not to like it, because I'm sort of against historical fiction. The audacity of relying on something that happened at some point in history, place some characters in the scene and call it your work! However, after a while I started to get interested because, truth be told, McLain did her homework well and added just as much spark as was needed to keep the reader interested, though we could have been spared that tearjerking ending, don't you think? All in all I'm not sure the book is about Hadley, but Hem and him alone, young, Parisian and troubled.