Lavinia

Lavinia

Love is a Mix Tape - Rob Sheffield I'm so excited about discovering Rob Sheffield, I can't even begin to tell you. For the first time in years, I didn't find about the book on websites, blogs, magazines or friend recommendations, I just stumbled upon it and decided I wanted to read it. OK, truth be told, it was his other book, [b:Talking to Girls About Duran Duran One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut|7515197|Talking to Girls About Duran Duran One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut|Rob Sheffield|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347577948s/7515197.jpg|9721697] that caught my eye first, but however...

I never made a mix tape. Because I was never into making them, you know, the time and effort put into selecting the songs, plus I don't think I owned enough music to do that, or the equipment. But I had mix tapes made for me, and I still remember songs from those cassettes, and later I had mix CDs made for me, and I might still have some CDs my husband made for me years ago, when he wasn't even my boyfriend and I listened to them and tried to figure out how he was like and the whatnot.

OK, so I really liked the book and I took it to Twitter to let Rob know that. (Stalk much?) I just needed him to know that I do remember KLF's Justified and Ancient, because in the 9th grade one of my colleagues was obsessed with it. And while I'm here, I might just say that I'll probably never see music with the same eyes again, since I tend to be so picky when it comes to it, like for instance I would have never listened to JT voluntarily because he's from *NSYNC, but I saw him on SNL a few weeks ago and was so blown by his performance of "Mirrors" that I played it over and over and made my husband watch it and kept asking him about it, like isn't it awesome? So yeah, I'm listening to JT's album as I write, because music and musicians are so versatile and our tastes change and evolve in years, since I know for sure there are bands or singers I wouldn't have listened to in my teens that I just love now. Like Prince or some of the '90s bands I found so annoying at the time.
That's it. I need to do the dishes.

P.S. If you liked [b:High Fidelity|285092|High Fidelity|Nick Hornby|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327928082s/285092.jpg|2961887] or [b:Just Kids|341879|Just Kids|Patti Smith|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1259762407s/341879.jpg|332242], you're probably going to enjoy this as well.